3 Mar 2015

Fireteam Fatigue and Some Painted Miniatures (With Colour Guide)

It recently dawned on me that I'm currently suffering from a very specific kind of gaming fatigue - Fireteam Andromeda Fatigue.

Last week I finally got around to having a game of Fireteam Andromeda which, considering all the work I've put in it, should have left me overjoyed! But therein lies the rub of it - all the work. It seems that (and I don't know if other game designers share this experience) after all of the work that I've put into Fireteam Andromeda it has ended up sucking out all of the fun from the game for me.

By no means do I think it is a bad game - far from it! Apart from a few "clearly-a-first-ever"-game design things that have annoyed me, the game is solid, works and has given people great games. So, the product itself isn't really to blame. It is, and again I'm guessing because I don't really know any other game designers, simply due to stress and burnout after having put a lot of energy and effort into it. I just can't seem to play it anymore and just have fun with doing so, but always end up tinkering and considering stuff.

So with that out of the way, I still needed a game for my 15mm armies and the Terminus Nebula setting as well. Rather than re-invent a new game from the base up, I instead decided to do the time-honored thing and tinker with an already published set of rules.

This means that within a couple of days (real-life permitting) I'll post a bit about my Employment War modification for Bolt Action as well as upload it for the general public at large. Thus I hopefully can get back into gaming - for fun -  and get back into developing the Terminus Nebula setting... which, when I get back into gear, will become immensely helpful as I start development of the Mecha Legion 6mm wargame that I've been tinkering away with.

Anyway! All this rambling and wordyness needs to stop - I've also been painting whilst contemplating the fate of my 15mm gaming life!


First up is a squad of Republican Guards for the Republic of the Western Sphere. These troops have been around since the dawn of the Republic and haven't really changed neither uniform colour nor equipment (overly much) in the last 200 years. I painted them in simple muted colours to reflect their campaign on Earth as well as Mars during the Civil War. The colours used also match my Mecha Legion for the Republic as well - which was the intention all along!
  • Fatigues / Uniform - Iraqui Sand (VMC), washed with Soft Tone (Army Painter) and then painted with Iraqui Sand (VMC) once more, leaving the darker tone in the recess.
  • Helmets / Armour - Beige Brown (VMC), washed with Strong Tone (AP) and then painted with Beige Brown (VMC) again leaving the darker tone in the recess.
  • Webbing - A simple coat of Umber Brown (VMC) which was washed with Strong Tone (AP).
  • Weapons - The rifles were all painted using Gun Grey (VMA) with a two drops of Black (VMC) added in to tone them down, then washed with Nuln Oil (GW). The missile launcher was painted with Reflective Green (VMC), washed with Nuln Oil (GW) and then painted with Reflective Green once more, leaving the darker shade in the recess.
  • Flesh - Was painted using Foundry's (urgh) tri-color shade of basic skin. This is the first and last time I'll ever use this so...
  • Bases - These were painted with Flat Earth (VMC) and then given a drybrush of Cork Brown (VMC). I later found bought a bottle of Brown Sand (VMC) and will use this colour for drybrushing in the future.

Secondly we have a squad for my other Republican Army that I'm working on. I really should have gone for them being Alliance Patrol soldiers or similar - but oh well. They're a continuation of my trend of trying to paint the same uniforms for my sci-fi miniatures across scales, where possible. The miniatures are from Critical Mass Games (Arc Fleet Troops) and are really great high-tech footsloggers, if a slightly bit too small next to my Ground Zero Game miniatures (sheesh, this scale-creeping!). 
  • Bodyarmor - Was all painted using Dark Blue Grey (VMC), given a wash of Dark Tone (AP) then painted with Dark Blue Grey again, leaving the shaded areas in the recess.
  • Fatigues - Whilst barely shown, then these were painted Dark Grey (VMC) and then given a wash of Dark Tone (AP).
  • Weapons - The casings were all painted Cold Grey (VGC), given a wash of Dark Tone (AP) and then painted with Cold Grey again, leaving the shaded areas in the recess. The few metal bits were painted with Steel (VMA) with a bit of Black (VMC) mixed in, then given a wash with Nuln Oil (GW).
  • Visor - The visiors were first painted Flat Green (VMC) and then painted with Scorpy Green (VGC). It was then given a wash of Thraka Green (GW) and then painted once more with Scorpy Green leaving the shaded areas in the recess.
  • Bases - Burnt umber (craft paint) which was then given a drybrush of Light Sand (Lifecolor)

Finally I also painted a Sister of Mercy Sigmar for yet another unnamed Fantasy Warband. This time we go up to 28mm and is more a showcase of the flesh colour I've finally decided on using, as well as just to spice things up a bit on the painting table. 
  • Flesh - First a coat of Beige Red (VMC), then washed with a 70/30 or 60/40 mix of Red Ink (AP) and Soft Tone (AP). Then painted with Beige Red (VMC) again, leaving the shaded areas in the recess.
  • Hair  - This was painted Brown Ochre (VMC), then washed with Soft Tone (AP). It was then painted using Brown Ochre (VMC) again leaving the shaded area in the recess.
  • Tunic - First given a coat of Flat Green (VMC), then followed up with a coat of Iosan Green (P3). This was then given a wash of Strong Tone (AP) and painted with Iosan Green again, leaving the shaded areas in the recess.
  • Non-armor Leather - This was painted English Uniform (VMC) and then given a wash of Strong Tone (AP). Painted with English Uniform (VMC) again, leaving the shaded areas in the recess.
  • Leather Armor - Painted this with Bootstrap Leather (P3) and given a wash of Strong Tone (AP). Painted again with Bootstrap Leather (P3) leaving the shaded areas in the recess.
  • Dress - Painted with Beige (VMC) and then followed by a coat of Menoth White Highlight (P3). This was then washed with Soft Tone (AP) and then painted with Menoth White Highlight again, leaving the shaded areas in the recess.
  • Hammer - The shaft was painted using Foundry's Spearshaft paint (urgh), washed with Strong Tone (AP) and then given a basecoat of Foundry's Spearshaft again. The metal was painted using Steel (VMA) with a drop of Black (VMC) added. This was then washed with Nuln Oil (GW).
  • Golden Bits - This was painted using Bright Brass (VMA) and then given a wash of Seraphim Sepia (GW).
  • Base - This is then setting my new default for painting generic bases! A good coat of Flat Earth (VMC) followed by a drybrush of Brown Sand (VMC).
So there we have it - some painted miniatures and a new feature for the blog as well; the colour guide! I might have to revise the method of these in the future were I hopefully get around to write up an article on how I go about painting my miniatures in general. 

The paints used were mostly Vallejo Model Color (VMC) with a touch of Vallejo Model Air (VMA), Vallejo Game Color (VGC), Army Painter (AP) and the last time I'll ever use Foundry paints (which is a rant for another day).

Thanks for reading this far and let's see how quickly I can get the Employment War up and running!


No comments:

Post a Comment